The five goals set at the end of the founding conference of the ICCM were the following:
- The publication, in French and English, of the proceedings of the symposium, a goal that was achieved the following year with the appearance of Mosaics No.1: Deterioration and Conservation (ICCROM, Rome 1978).
- The collection of suggestions for a future course on the conservation of mosaics with a view to establishing a programme.
- The establishment of an annual directory of people working on the conservation of mosaics.
- The recommendation, when a mosaic is going to be detached, that a complete cross section of its bedding foundation be preserved.
- The encouragement of the documentation of specific cases of destruction, salvage, and restoration.